A legislator is someone who makes laws. While legislation is the process involved in making laws. The ability to think beyond the ambiances of legislative businesses is what makes you a good representative. But that doesn’t change the fact that the principal function of a legislator is to make laws that protects the general interest of his/her constituents.
At the National level of legislative politics, so much of lobbying is required of a lawmaker to facilitate projects that benefits his constituents directly and this requires capacity. It is unfortunate that in our own extraction of the world, most people see legislative business as a platform for “the boys”. But it is important to note that every legislator direly needs the goodwill of his/her people and definitely requires that familiarity with “the boys” to win their hearts.
Who is Honourable Legor Idagbo? Hon. Legor started his political sojourn as a Local Government chairman that was unanimously loved by his people. His simple and purposeful type of leadership made his people, the people of Bekwarra Local Government to overwhelmingly hand him a second term to lead as Chairman of Bekwarra Local Government Area. As chairman of Bekwarra, his performance was second to none. His performance generated lots of commendations from political pundits across Cross River State. This made the then Governor of Cross River State, Sen. Liyel Imoke to invite Hon. Legor to serve in his cabinet as Commissioner for Works. His performance as Commissioner for works and divine mandate of his people blessed him with his current political position as House of Representatives member representing the people of Bekwarra, Obudu and Obanliku Federal Constituency.
Representing a constituency that h produced leaders who have served at National capacities is not a fact to toil with. It requires lots of capacity, humility and understanding. Coming from a political background that have always known the importance of putting the interest of the people first, it was game on for Hon. Legor Idagbor. He immediately moved into action by providing effective representation at the green chambers and back home. Hon. Legor’s voice in the house is popular for his people oriented motions and bills.
Hon. Legor Idagbo was the first House member in the current 8th parliament to move a motion calling on the Federal Government to look into the Deplorable state of the Calabar to Ikom to Ogoja federal highway. This motion was moved on the 15th of October in 2015. Evidently, every section of the road is currently under construction.
On the 27th of January 2016, Hon. Legor moved a motion calling on the Federal Government to establish a pacifist Nigerian Civil War memoriam in Gakem, considering the fact that the first gunshot of the Nigerian Civil War was shot in Gakem, Cross River State.
On the 10th of March 2016, Hon. Legor moved a motion calling on the Federal Government to constitute the National Council on Public Procurement to aid the ease of doing business in Nigeria so as to attract more foreign investors to Nigeria and to assist micro entrepreneurs.
Hon. Legor have also moved two other motions of national importance which includes; the motion on boundary crisis arising from non-delimitation of Nigerian internal boundaries. This motion was of huge importance due to the incessant crisis arising from boundary disputes between states especially Cross River and Benue. He called on the Boundary Commission to ensure regular demarcation of boundary lines to forestall crisis that may lead to loss of lives and property.
He also moved a motion calling for the harmonization of biometric data of Nigerian citizens
On the aspect of bills, Hon. Idagbo have sponsored 12 bills, these bills include:
1. CORRECTION, REHABILITATION AND REINTEGRATION CENTRE ESTABLISHMENT BILL, 2015.
This Bill seeks to establish a Correction and Rehabilitation Centre charged with the responsibility of providing support services for prisons in the area of reformation, education and youthful offender programming. The Bill has scaled through its second reading.
2. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMEND THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE (RELEASE FROM CUSTODY) (SPECIAL PROVISIONS) ACT, CAP C40 LFN 2011 AND FOR OTHER RELATED MATTERS.
This Bill seeks to amend the Criminal Justice (Release from Custody) (Special Provisions) Act to make provisions for the decongestion and reduction in the number of pre-trial inmates in Nigerian prisons.
3. HB. 451 – IMPROVED AID EFFECTIVENESS, ACCOUNTABILITY AND CO-OPERATION FOR DONOR, RECEPIENT BILL, 2015
4. HB. 476 – NIGERIA WITH DISABILITY BILL, 2016.
5. HB. 448 – NATIONAL ASSEMBLY BUDGET AND RESEARCH OFFICE (ESTABLISHMENT) BILL, 2015.
6. HB. 416 – JOINT ADMISSION AND MATRICULATION BOARD (AMENDMENT) BILL, 2015
7. SEXUAL OFFENDERS (REGISTRATION) BILL, 2017.
8. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMEND THE FLAG AND COAT OF ARMS ACT, CAP F30, 2004.
9. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE NATIONAL OFFENDERS CENTRAL REGISTRY AND FOR OTHER MATTERS CONNECTED THEREWITH
10. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMEND THE FIRE SERVICE ACT, CAP F29 LFN, 2004.
11. FIRE (HAZARD PREVENTION AND SAFEGUARD ) BILL
12. A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMEND THE NATIONAL BOUNDARY COMMISSION ACT, CAP 10, LFN 2004
Back home, Hon. Legor has achieved so much in several areas. All his projects are exceptional and distinguished. His projects cuts across the 3 Local Government areas he represents at the national level.
This is a Summary of Hon. Legor’s first phase projects in Obanliku, Bekwarra and Obudu:
1. Supply and Installation of a 500kva transformer at Busi 6 Obanlikwu LGA.
2. Supply and Installation of a 500kva transformer at sankwala, bebi ward, Obanlikwu LGA
3. Construction of three class room block at Bishiri north, Obanlikwu LGA.
4. Construction of motorized bolehole at Utuhu Bishiri South, Obanlikwu LGA.
5. Supply and Installation of solar street lights at Bisu /Bendi, Obanlikwu LGA.
6. Provision of solar bolehole at Bendi 2, Begiagba, Obanlikwu LGA.
7. Construction of skill acquisition centre at Sankwala, Obanlikwu LGA.
8. Construction of Skill Acquisition Centre at Abuana, Beten Ward, Bekwarra LGA.
9. Construction of Skill Acquisition Centre at Ijibor, Ugboro Ward, Bekwarra LGA.
10. Provision of Solar Powered Street Lights at Ukpah Ward, Bekwarra LGA.
11. Construction of Solar Powered Borehole with 5000 Gallons Steel Tank, Abuochiche, Bekwarra LGA.
12. Renovation of Solar Powered Borehole at Ugidi Market, Nyanya, Bekwarra LGA.
13. Renovation of Solar Powered Borehole at Ikanda, Beten Ward Bekwarra LGA.
14. Construction of three class room blocks with Toilets at Okworogung, Utugwang, Obudu LGA.
15. Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria, Vocational Skill Training Program for Bekwarra Obudu and Obanlikwu.
16. Airtel Empowerment and Entrepreneurship program.
17. Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria, Entrepreneurship Training Program 2016. Vocational Training 2017. Skill Acquisition Training 2018.
18. Opening of roads in Bekwarra Local Government Area.
Hon. Legor is a legislator beyond house legislation.