A spokesperson for the government of Gabon has said the political situation in the country is “under control”, following an attempted military coup. Guy-Bertrand Mapangou told the BBC that four of the rebels had been arrested by the authorities. A fifth is on the run. Junior officers claimed they seized power “to restore democracy” in oil-rich Gabon, where the ailing leader’s family has ruled for 50 years. Tanks and armed vehicles could be seen in the capital Libreville. “The situation is calm. The gendarmes who are often stationed there have taken control of the entire area around the radio and TV headquarters, so everything is back to normal”, said Mr Mapangou. He added that the officer on the run would be arrested “in the coming hours.” Current leader Ali Bongo succeeded his father Omar Bongo as president in 2009. He narrowly won re-election in 2016 in a poll marred by violence and accusations of fraud. What happened this morning? The five soldiers took control of the national radio station at 04:30 local time (03:30 GMT) to read a short statement announcing a “National Restoration Council”. In a video circulating on social media, three young soldiers can be seen in a radio studio wearing military fatigues and holding guns. Lt Kelly Ondo Obiang, who said he represented a group called the Patriotic Movement of the Defence and Security Forces of Gabon, specifically appealed to young people to “take charge of their destiny”. The insurgents called on soldiers to take control of the transport system, ammunition reserves and airports “in the interests of the nation”. The BBC’s Firmain Eric Mbadinga said the coup attempt came as a huge surprise. The army has always been seen as loyal to the Bongo family, he said, because it is dominated by the presidential guard, who mostly come from Mr Bongo’s home region. Most of the capital remains calm, an eyewitness told the Reuters news agency. Follow us: @earthpublishers on Twitter | EarthPublisher on Facebook
You may also like...
- Previous story King of Malaysia Sultan Muhammad V Relinquishes throne to marry Russian Beauty Queen
- Next story Salah, Mane, Aubameyang For CAF Prize
- Ebola Has Killed 26 People In DR Congo In A Single Day
- Grammy Award Pop Singer Adele Separates From Husband After 8 Years
- World Bank Group, Elect US Treasury Official David Malpass as it’s 13th President.
- Justice Walter Samuel Onnoghen, the Suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN Resigns…….
- Whatsapp launches unique fake news check feature ahead of India polls to fight fake news during the polls.